Under chemotherapy for liver cancer. Is it safe to take medicine for diabetes along with liver cancer?

Oncologist
Question
Dear Doctor,
My brother is under chemotherapy for liver cancer and is taking Sorafenib 200 mg.
He is also diabetic patient and taking Zoryl M2, Tragenda - 5 and Pynorm - 30 drugs.
Can you please advise whether these drugs for diabetic treatment can clash with chemodrug?
Also, please advise Insulin for diabetic treatment can clash with chemodrug?
Thanks and regards,
XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Sorry to know about your brother.

Sorafenib is not a chemo drug and rather a kind of targeted therapy. But still it may have some interactions with other drugs as it is metabolized in the liver.

Fortunately the drugs you have mentioned (glimeperide-metformin, linagliptin, pioglitazone, and insulin) does not have any known interaction with sorafenib. However, unexpected interactions can happen rarely and for this a careful watch on the patient's condition and blood tests from time to time (like CBC, renal function and liver function, apart from stringent Blood sugar monitoring) will be needed.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.
Best Wishes,

Follow-up: Under chemotherapy for liver cancer. Is it safe to take medicine for diabetes along with liver cancer? 3 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thank you for the clarification.
Hope Zoryl M2, Tragenda - 5 and Pynorm - 30 drugs are same as "glimeperide-metformin, linagliptin, pioglitazone". Maybe chemical names of drugs?
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 15 minutes later
Yes, these are precisely the generic names of the medicines you had mentioned.