Ask a Urologist   »  

Uncontrollable to control urine while sleeping. What should I do for cure?

Jul 2016

i have a night wetting problem, i am a 31 year old woman and once in six months while I am sleeping I feel I am actually in the bathroom urinating and end up wetting the bed. this is very embarrassing and I don't know how it happens although very, very rarely. I basically think I am on the pot urinating subconsciously and suddenly wake up and run. also I am not able to control my urine during the day sometimes. I feel the urge to urinate and then it is ok and suddenly I have to rush, its uncontrollable. This happens at times. What should I do?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 30 minutes later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have what is called as 'Over Active Bladder Syndrome'. This is due to involuntary feeble contraction of the urinary bladder that causes Urgency and sometimes incontinence.

Please get following basic investigations done.
1) Urine Routine and Culture.
2) Ultrasound Scanning of the abdomen.
3) Urodyanamic study of urinary Bladder -

A qualified urologist can be able to guide you through the above suggested tests. He/she may also perform an endoscopic examination of Urinary ladder to confirm the possibility.

In the mean while take some medication that will inhibit the contraction of bladder like Darifenacin . Visit your family physician for prescription and dosage of the drug.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Uncontrollable to control urine while sleeping. What should I do for cure? 1 hour later
thanks, but this happens once in 6-7 months, not a regular phenomenon. what needs to be ascertained from the test? is there some precaution I can take?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

The passing of urine in bed without knowledge is called as Enuresis. Though it is occasional, it has to be treated. This can be controlled with an anti depressant drug like Imipramine for few months. Consult your family physician for dosage and prescription.

You will have to get investigated on the lines which I have suggested earlier for the urgency you had mentioned.

Hope I have cleared all your doubts.

Thanks and Regards.