Ask a Urologist   »  

Uncomfortability in penis lasting months, slight erection occurs. Why does it look smaller?

for many years now every so often out of no where I get an uncomfortable feeling in my penis which lasts for several months at a time and is constant...when I have it it takes getting a slight erection to get rid of and even then my penis doesn't feel as it normally does....when flaccid it feels and sometimes looks smaller than usual...what is the problem?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

From your symptoms of pain in the penis, there is an important possibility that this is due to inflammation or infection of the structures of the urinary/reproductive tract, such as the urethra (tube that leads from the bladder out the end of the penis) or prostate causing prostatitis. The typical symptoms of prostatitis are fever, pelvic, testicle, or rectal pain, frequent and painful urination and ejaculation, pain in the penis and incomplete emptying of bladder.

It is also possible that sitting on an inadequately padded surface or for prolonged periods of time is causing transient irritation to the prostate. This could be appearing as the pain in the penis.

I suggest you to get it evaluated from a urologist. He will physically examine you and do per rectal examination to check the status of prostate. He will also get your PSA (prostate specific antigen) levels and a urine routine and urine culture along with urethral swabs done.

In both cases, you need a course of antibiotics to tackle the infection.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Uncomfortability in penis lasting months, slight erection occurs. Why does it look smaller? 2 days later
I don't have any of the symptoms of prostatitis and I don't sit on inadequately padded surfaces for prolonged periods of time. I don't believe it has anything to do with a actually gone and this may have been the shortest time it's lasted which was about a week. Other times it would last for several months.