Uncircumcised child is having discomfort on penis tip after urinating. What could be wrong?

Our 6.5 year old son, who is uncircumsized is complaining of discomfort in the tip of his penis when he is done urinating (not during). We have reminded him to clean his penis by pulling the skin back so he has done that a bit lately. There is no puss present but the tip of the penis is red so we have been using polysporin on it. It still seems a bit red so perhaps we should be more diligent. He also has some discomfort in lower pubic region (centrally)?
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 28 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

It appears as though your son could be suffering from a possible urinary tract infection (UTI). But, of course, this will have to be confirmed with the help of a urine analysis.

For your information, let me provide you with some more information on a UTI. Symptoms are:
-Burning sensation during, before or after urinating
-Frequent urination
-Increased urge to urinate, but less amount of urine passed
-Pain in lower abdomen and/or lower back
-Itching around genitals

Please note that not all symptoms need to be present to make a diagnosis of UTI. But, due to a history of fever, I am suspecting this has been going on for sometime.

Please do not worry, as it is normal in uncircumcised children. If you have no religious restrictions, then do consider getting your son circumcised as this will not only prevent all future infections, but also help in easy maintenance of hygiene, and also help in improving sexual penetration in the future.

For now, please take him to the doctor and request for a urine analysis, which will provide information and a confirmation on the urine infection. You can also follow this up with a urine culture examination; this investigation is particularly helpful as it provides information on the infection-causing organism and also provides information on the most suitable antibiotic that can be used. This will ensure rapid and effective treatment of your child. Treatment includes antibiotic therapy, pain management medication and a possible addition of a potassium chloride based solution to relieve symptoms.

In the meantime, please give him plenty of water to drink and cranberry juice if available, as this has shown to have added benefits in relieving symptoms of UTI.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes