Unbearable pain in right side of chest while sleeping. Causes?

I have this pain on my right side of chest that is bearable but when I try to sleep it becomes unbearable and I must get up I have not sleep for 5 days I am miserable. Just got out of hospital several days ago they said my heart and lungs were perfect shape! Chuck
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 26 minutes later

It is good that your heart and lung tests have come out normal as they are the first causes which should be ruled out from your symptoms.

Based on your description of symptoms, it looks like costochondritis or gall bladder disease.

Costochondritis is an inflammation of the joints in your chest. There is no specific test or investigation for costochondritis. The diagnosis can only be reached after excluding more serious causes of chest pain that are related to the heart and lungs which have been done in your case.

It is completely curable and treatment involves
1. Conservative local care with careful use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen or naproxen.
2. Application of warm compresses may also help. If there is no relief even with medications, then steroid injections may be needed.

You may need to consult an orthopedician and get the medicines prescribed. Also get an ultrasound gall bladder done to rule out any gall bladder disease.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.