Unable to walk due to stabbing pain in right groin. Suggest treatment

hi iv been experiencing stabbing pain in my right groin which keeps me awake and restricts me from walking and standing for any length of time.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Immediate NSAID like Ibuprofen helps

Detailed Answer:

It is important to understand why you have stabbing pain in the right groin. Is it an injury that you sustained? Is it muscle or ligament stretch? Femoral hernia is common in women, do you see any lump or bulge there? I definitely ask for a local examination to understand the reason for pain. Do you have pain in other joint? In the event of Psoriasis we should check for arthritis as well.

However to relieve you of the groin pain I suggest you to take Ibuprofen up to 400mg three times a day with an antacid available over the counter. This should not delay the consultation by your primary care doctor.

Hope this helps.
Follow-up: Unable to walk due to stabbing pain in right groin. Suggest treatment 36 minutes later
Hi, I have pain in my lower back right side and I do not have any lumps in the groin. The pain is worse when I am walking or standing my doctor thinks it is my hip and am due to have an MRI scan to see if there is any ligament damage or muscle tears.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hip needs an evaluation

Detailed Answer:

Hip arthralgia is common. There are big muscles around the hip with longer and tougher tendons. The other reason is bursitis. They may be the reason. it is better to get Blood counts, Xray Hip joints, Urine routine as well. MRI scan is the next step after Xray. In my practice I choose cheaper but yet effective investigation before jumping to MRI. Bursitis is easily diagnosed with MRI.

However choose to take a pain reliever and keep the hip joint in a position that is pain free else the muscles strain further.