Ask a Urologist   »  

Unable to urinate. Has been on diet, had lots of water. There is an urge but cannot pass. Suggest?

My husband is unable to urinate. He has been on a diet and it is REALLY hot here. He has drunk a lot of water, but cannot urinate!!! He feels like he needs to, but can't. We are WAY out in the country. Hospital is an hour or more away. Please help.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 21 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
The time given in the website is maximum limit and not minimum.
Since I saw this question early, i will try to help as much as i can.
At this age, i need to think of two things.
Inability to pass urine may be due to
1. Low urine output as occurs in hot conditions.
2. Acute urinary retention due to block in the urinary tract most commonly enlarged prostate in his age group.
I think of the second due to his age and also he has taken enough water with urge to urinate.
He needs urgent evaluation at the A and E for clinical examination and if needed , catheterization of the bladder to let out urine.
Hope this helps,
Wishing him best health.

Follow-up: Unable to urinate. Has been on diet, had lots of water. There is an urge but cannot pass. Suggest? 34 minutes later
Thank you!!!!!!
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 14 minutes later
Welcome back.
Thanks for your appreciation.
I look forward to hear from you and have a followup on his progress.
Best regards.