Unable to take antiinflammatory due to artificial mitral valve. Medicine for golfers elbow?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a tear to my common flexor tendon associated with golfers elbow. I am unable to take anti inflamatory medication as I have an artificial mitral valve, and take warfrin.
Also I broke my wrist orif and have a plate and 6 pins I have constant pain from both so I am unable to do exercises. What other treatment would be available?.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Treatment available other than antiinflammatory medication for Golfers elbow-

* Put your repetitive activities on hold until the pain is gone.
* Apply ice packs to your elbow for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, three to four times a day for several days.A bag of frozen vegetables makes a great substitute for a cold compress.
* Wrap your elbow with an elastic bandage or use a forearm strap.
* Massage the area with your fingers to help stimulate blood flow through the area and relieve the discomfort. Do this as often as you would like to bring about relief.
* If you can not take antiinflammatory drug or they are ineffective, your doctor may recommend a cortisone injection to reduce pain and swelling. These injections usually provide only short-term pain relief.
* Ultrasonic massage - It helps in tissue healing and can help ease pain.
* Shock wave therapy is a newer form of nonsurgical treatment. It uses a machine to generate shock wave pulses to the sore area. Patients generally receive the treatment once each week for up to three weeks.This form of treatment can help ease pain, while improving range of motion and function.
* Your physical therapist may apply electrical stimulation to ease pain and improve healing of the collagen. Therapy sessions may also include iontophoresis, which uses a mild electrical current to push anti-inflammatory medicine to the sore area. This treatment is especially helpful for patients who can't tolerate injections.
* Sometimes nonsurgical treatment fails to stop the pain or help patients regain use of the elbow. In these cases, surgery in the form of tendon debridement or tendon release may be necessary.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.