Unable to sleep even after taking hot and cold compress for neck pain, what to do?

for the last two days I have had severe neck pain on the left side and it hurts to swallow. I can't sleep I have done cold and hot compresses even taken alive and excedren for headache, the headache is gone but the pain in my neck won't let me sleep and I can't turn my head one inch one way or other. I have a massage scheduled for 10am is that okay? I have to hold my neck to get up or lay down or it hurts too bad! also using biofreeze not much help can't find a comfortable position at all
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Mild neck massages can help Detailed Answer: Hi Hot fomentation (Hot bag or Squeezed cloth after dipping in hot water) after applying Tiger balm/Flexall by your family member is the best remedy to start with for one day. If no one at home Flexall with frequent shower baths for the first day. Do not try to move the neck when it pains. The neck muscles are in acute spasm. Rest only will relieve it. Once you start feeling comfortable mild neck massages can help, I do not suggest them before that. Hope this is useful.
Follow-up: Unable to sleep even after taking hot and cold compress for neck pain, what to do? 31 hours later
i went to doctor yesterday and got a steroid shot and cyclobenzaprine 10mg, the pain in my neck is still bad, can I take aleve with this medicine?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes Detailed Answer: Yes you can take one dose of aleve with cyclobenzaprine. Cyclobenzaprine is a potent muscle relaxant. I am not sure about the steroid shot why was it given. However you should continue the course of cyclobenzaprine. Most often my patients have answers as they wait for couple of days with cyclobenzaprine dose.