Unable to sleep due to racing heart rate. Is this a serious problem?

cant sleep last few daysi got laid off of work and i got 4 kids and a wife i haven't slept i three days i lay down and my mind and heart start racing what do you think is it serious and should go to hospital thanks docs
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 55 minutes later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

Sorry for the loss. There is definitely a chance of occurence of acute stress reactions when one losing job. Sleep deprivation is a symptom for acute stress reaction. This is primary symptom and not good for health. You can follow certain things initially:

First try to look at the positive side of present and future. You could enjoy christmas with family and treat this as a break between jobs. Reset your mind and body and tone up for the next job.
Try breathing exercise.
Have a healthy, balanced diet.
Avoid drinking tea, coffee late evening, so that it does not interfere with your sleep.
Have warm milk at bed time, this will help to induce sleep.
Avoid watching television at bed time.
Try doing something that makes you feel more relaxed like reading a book, listening to soothing music at bed time.This will relax mind & you will be able to sleep.

Inspite of following above things for a week if you still feel that your mind & heart is racing than you should go to a hospital.

I hope I have answered your query, in case you have any further question i will be happy to help you.
Follow-up: Unable to sleep due to racing heart rate. Is this a serious problem? 2 days later
My wife suffers from anxiety and depression too for years I tried all that you said still kinda not feeling rite even in daytime I feel anxiety and weird I never had anxiety
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later

I can understand what problems you are undergoing now. I would advise you to XXXXXXX a counselor who will be able to help you.

Continue doing XXXXXXX breathing exercises, meditation. It is very powerful & helpful in relieving stress. It helps to deal with the problems in life in a positive way.