Unable to sleep due to loud heart beat. How to cure this?

When I go to bed at night my heart beats so loud that I cannot sleep. I am under a lot of stress at present, what can I do to help me sleep? XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Get examined / investigated / Relax Detailed Answer: Hi friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic See an Internist or cardiologist / get yourself examined / at times, basic investigation may be necessary... The heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG). Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect the arrhythmia occurring during that time only. If the episode occurs randomly or precipitated by a specific activity, one needs Holter or event monitor. ECHOcardiogram / TMT (Treadmill exercise ECG) / LABORATORY work-up – may all be necessary, in some people, for further assessment and assistance. Many are benign, especially when associated with normal ECHO and may not require treatment…If you also have symptoms like blurred vision, dizziness, loss of consciousness, shortness of breath, chest pain along with this, you need urgent work up Relaxation techniques, yoga, biofeedback are often helpful. Psychological assessment and assistance helps. At times, medicines may be necessary; The first line medicine is generally a beta blocker, like Metoprolol – slow release and small dose. It will benefit both anxiety and missed beats. Your doctor will give proper prescription and follow up Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless