Unable to remove Mirena coil. Prescribed Cytotec. Is it safe?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
I WENT TO MY OBGYN TODAY TO GET MY I..U.D. MIRENA REMOVED AFTER A WEEK AGO OF THEM NOT FINDING STRINGS THEY COULD NOT GET IT OUT THEY PRESCRIBED CYTOTEC 200 MG VAGINALLY FOR ME TO TAKE ONE NIGHT BEFORE AND ONE ON MORNING OF REMOVAL WHICH IS SCHEDULED IN ONE WEEK IS THIS SAFE??
I ALSO HAVE HAD A C-SECTION WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS BORN AND NOW MY TUBES ARE TIED I HAD IUD BECAUSE OF HEAVY PERIODS
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. S Patra 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer to your query.

Sometimes IUD (Mirena) can be embedded inside the uterine cavity in case of missing string. Therefore, one ultrasound scan or Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) is usually needed to locate the position of the missing string IUD (Mirena) before going to any procedure.

In this circumstances, taking cytotec (Misoprostol) tablet vaginally is quite safe and effective to remove the IUD. It helps to dilate cervical opening and contract uterine cavity to come out IUD forcefully. Otherwise, Dilatation and Curettage (D & C) technique is applied to remove the same.

Just follow the guideline of your gynecologist to get better & effective result. Don't be worried much. Maintain your genital hygiene properly.

Hope, above said information is sufficient & very much helpful to you. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

For any future query, you can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question"

Wish your good health and take care of yourself.

Dr Soumen

Follow-up: Unable to remove Mirena coil. Prescribed Cytotec. Is it safe? 43 minutes later
THANK YOU ALOT THE FIRST GOOD NEWS I HAVE HAD ALL DAY I DID HAVE THE VAGINAL ULTRASOUND TODAY BUT SHE JUST COULDN;T GET ME TO DILIATE SO NEXT WEEK IT WILL BE DONE WITH THE ULTRASOUND AGAIN AND THOSE CYTOTEC PILLS
DR LOOKING AT IT DURING THE ULTRASOUND I AM GLAD THOSE PILLS ARE SAFE I WAS SCARED

Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later

Thanks for your response.

Cytotec tablets are very much safe and you have nothing to scare. Please proceed to next appointment with your gynecologist for effective management.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen