Unable to remember anything for a long. Am I having memory problem?

Question
I’m only in my 20’s but have a hard time remembering things if I don’t write them down. Could I have a memory problem?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 46 minutes later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Forget things easily also known as retrograde amnesia is a condition in which a person is unable to remember his most recent activities or forgets things like his/her appointment, festival and sometimes forgets object even placed by themselves. This is a memory problem and can only be improved by concentrating on the issues. Psychological counselling also help in which an ideas are being shared about how to remember things and enhance memory.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Unable to remember anything for a long. Am I having memory problem? 24 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response. That makes a lot of sense. I also wonder if it could be something else, because it is not only short-term. I only have vague memories of my childhood. Does this fall under the category of retrograde amnesia?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 22 minutes later
No. It does not mean the memory is totally lost. there is recovery of the memory and the person do remember the situation or things he have been through. Its just for a time being that forgets. you will be able to recall your whole day activities even after a day or two but that is spontaneous. If you would be trying to recall something by yourself then in that case you will be unable to recall. your childhood have been memorized in your mind and similarly these day will be remembered.

Hope its clear now but if you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Unable to remember anything for a long. Am I having memory problem? 15 minutes later
I am still a little confused. Are there any other reasons this could be happening? I also have ADHD. Does this have anything to do with it? Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 9 minutes later
If by ADHD you mean Attention deficient hyperactivity disease, then it is one of the common cause. The other most common cause for lose of memory is depression within advanced grades and prolonged use of hypnotic and sedative drugs.

Thanks