Unable to move due to muscle twitching under rib cage. What do you recommend?

General Surgeon
Feels like a muscle twisting under lower rid cage,is very very painful,changing positions help but still hurts inside couple days,what cause what feels like a muscle being twisted to tight in that area when all you do is barely move to cause it.
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such pain can be caused by severe coughing. Coughing is a complicated process which needs lots of chest and abdominal muscles. As you have emphysema and COPD, I assume that you do cough a lot. In some cases, even rib fracture is possible, especially if the pain has appeared suddenly. Rib nerves compression or inflammation is also possible. In such case, the pain is acute, well localized. Can be unnoticeable when not breathing. If your pain radiates to the back, appears after a meal, nausea is present, gallstones should be also considered. I suggest you to have chest X-ray, ribs X-ray at first. If gallstones seems possible, abdominal ultrasound should be done. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Unable to move due to muscle twitching under rib cage. What do you recommend? 15 minutes later
I donot cough at all,if I do they are very slight. But thank you anyway,sometimes that same knotting painful is in the stomach area.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 minute later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Lower ribs and upper abdomen pain is very characteristic for gallstones. The pain does not have to be strong. It can be mild, sometimes radiates to the back. Fatty foods, spicy foods and alcohol usually trigger the pain. Abdominal ultrasound should be done. Regards.