Unable to insert penis while trying for sex. What treatment should I take?

Question
hi....i got married a few months back.....when me n my husband are trying to have sex ...we face a lot of problems ....there is no actual penetration happening ...no matter how hard we try his organ doesnt enter my vagina ....i m worried a lot what mite be the problem...my husband had inserted 2 of his fingers and they went in pretty well but when it comes to penis penetration it never works i feel only the tip has enteren the opening
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Sexual Problems

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 54 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

The condition you are describing is most probably vaginismus which is an involuntary contraction of muscles of the vagina triggered by anxiety, fear or secondary causes affecting the genital tract.

Vaginismus could be primary, in which case the female has never had sex before and anxiety and fear are the main culprits. It could be secondary in which case it occurs in a lady who previously had painless sex and then later develop difficulty in penetration. Secondary vaginismus is however related to underlying conditions that will cause pain during intercourse resulting in difficulty in penetration; such conditions include yeast infections, urinary tract infections, genital tract infections, trauma etc.

Vaginismus if left untreated worsens. Treatment requires a lot of psychological preparedness and fore play before sex in order to be relaxed. In case of secondary vaginismus treating the underlying condition is essential.

If this is your first time of trying to have sex, then you have a primary vaginismus and you should try the above steps. However, if it’s not your first time of having sex and that your previous encounters have always been ok, then you are suffering from a secondary vaginismus in which case you will need to visit a Gynecologist for an appropriate examination and diagnosis of the underlying cause.

Hope this helps you and if you have any further questions or clarifications, I will be glad to help.

Best regards,