Unable to get rid of genital warts around the end of penis with condyline. Why is it ?

Hi, I have had genital warts for many years (over 20 years). They have always sat on the glans around the opening at the end of penis (urethra ends). I got a sraping (cutting the genial warts by a scalpel) for approx. 18 years ago when I could not get rid of the genital warts by using condyline treatment. They came back later, and used again condyline. Maybe 6-7 times over the last 15 years, and always at the top of the glans. The last 1 1/2 years there have been no new genital warts. Because of the scrapers, and the repeated treatment with the liner condyline, scar tissue is formed on the glans, all around the opening at the end of penis. There are now (suddenly) just formed 2 dots / small wounds in the scar tissue that bleeds a bit now and then, for the last 2-3 weeks. And it also seems that the scar tissue has become more red. Why might that be. Could it be cell changes or should I not be so worried about it? Can you recommend of any treatment. I consulted my doctor 2 days ago, and he has never seen it before. He will send me to a specialist in urology, but I have to wait 3-4 weeks for control. Hope you can answer. I´m quite worried, because I now think of cancer. I´m not circumsised, and I´m "only" 54 years old. And the area with scars is appr. 4 x 10 mm with the opening at the end of penis in the middle. Thanks for your help.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

At this point I would not be particularly concerned about cancer. I think however you may be doing with the excessive formation oxcart issue which can happen after a number of years. The other concern is that some of this tissue me or become infected.

I agree with the referral to a urologist for a further examination and consultation. A couple of things might be considered. The first consideration would be the possibility of a steroid injection into the scar tissue. This can sometimes promote resolution of some of the areas of scarring. In addition you may benefit from a topical it biotic in order to help lower the chances of a progressive infection.

I can appreciate that this issue provide you with a significant degree of discomfort as well as anxiety. I want to reassure you at this point that I do not think you have any type of malignancy and that I really believe a consultation with an expert in the area such as a urologist is warranted.

Are urologist may take biopsy to make sure that we are not dealing with anything worrisome.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found nonresponse to be helpful. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address those here as well.

Dr. Robert