Unable to get off thoughts when trying to talk. Fingertips are numb. Cause?

today I had an episode where I could not get my thoughts out when i tried to talk. My fingertips also became numb. what could have caused this?
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out TIA

Detailed Answer:
Dear patient,

Thanks for your concerns. The symptoms are indeed worrisome, and the first thing that needs to be ruled out is the possibility of a transient ischemic attack (TIA), also known as a mini-stroke; indeed it usually presents with transient problems with speech, tingling or numbness in the arm, or a "lazy" hand. Probably, the most versed specialist to work this problem out would be a neurologist, but a general internist can do it as well. It is not unreasonable for you to be on aspirin once daily until you see a provider.

Yours truly,

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN