Unable to concentrate on studies and understands all other topics. Suggest a solution?

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Hello Dr,
My son is studying in 2nd year engineering,(Repeating the course),But not performing even now,He was a distinction student in 10th and 12th, Pl suggest us, Except academics he studies all the topics and also understands well,Kindly sugest us .

Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
some discussion needed

Detailed Answer:

Such an intelligent boy why should he fail in engineering?????!!!!!!

1 may be he does not like the course and he is forced to take it.

2. Does he stay in the hostel ? If so check on his room mates, his close associates ,etc to Ind out whether he is distracted by them.

3 look for signs of addiction to drugs etc.

4 if at home and bound to his room he any be diverted by. TV ,web browsing?

5 Any thing in home environment affecting his studies.

Pl concentrate on point no 2.

Talk to him like a friend kindly.

Ask whether he would like to shift his course or college?

Good luck

God bless

Dr Uma
Follow-up: Unable to concentrate on studies and understands all other topics. Suggest a solution? 8 hours later
Have talked to him in many ways,friendly,pampering,anger etc He assures of scoring always, But not showing improvement. Tells lot of lies,pl suggest and guide me for some consultancy in bangalore,Yeshwantpur
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
keep trying

Detailed Answer:

I am from Chennai.

If you see the net. Or. Go to any big hospital them may give you the contact number of councillors.

Nimhans also may help.

I can understand your situation but a similar experience with one of my relatives where the mother sitting with her son herself and not leaving him in the hostel,

and taking personal intervention helped .!!!

It is a mental torture for parents but pl keep trying !

Good luck

Dr Uma