Unable to conceive after ectopic pregnancy surgery. Detected infection in uterus. Can I conceive while taking AKT-4?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hello Sir/Madam,

I have been operated for ectopic pregnancy in 2007. After that I could not be able to conceive but I want to have a child as it was my first pregnancy. I am 35 yr. now. Last week I have undergone with PCR TEST & is detected with infection in uterus and doctor has suggested me AKT-4 for 2 months & AKT-3 for 4 months. I wanted to know whether I can conceive while taking these medicines or not.
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Better to avoid pregnancy while being on these drugs.
As these drugs come under category C drugs in pregnancy according to FDA, these can harm the baby if taken in early pregnancy.
Side effects like hearing loss, neural tube defects, ophthalmic abnormalities etc can occur to the baby.
So better to plan a pregnancy after completion of the course.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Unable to conceive after ectopic pregnancy surgery. Detected infection in uterus. Can I conceive while taking AKT-4? 8 hours later
Madam,
Thanks for replying my question but I wanted to know whether I can conceive safely or not after takiing these treatment. I mean chance of conceiving as I am already 35yrs.

Thanks with regards XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later

Genital tuberculosis contributes to around 16 to 20% of infertility cases.
The chances of fertility will depend on the functioning of reproductive organs like, patency of the tubes, condition of the endometrium etc.
So if the XXXXXXX structures are normal and infection gets cured with treatment possibility of conception increases.
Though you are having only one functional tube the chance of fertility is still there.
With increasing age the ovarian reserve will decrease which can affect the fertility rate.
But by carefully tracking the ovulation and planning unprotected intercourse around that time the chances of fertility will increase.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Unable to conceive after ectopic pregnancy surgery. Detected infection in uterus. Can I conceive while taking AKT-4? 9 minutes later
Thanks Mam for your valuable suggestion, that means I could conceive. If in future I want to contact you then can I do so Please do reply.

Thanx with regards XXXXXX

You can ask me at: WWW.WWWW.WW I will be available to answer your questions.