Ask a Dentist   »  

Unable to close mouth fully as gum in upper jaw is high not teeth. Suggest?

hi this is XXXXXXX and i am 25 year old.normally i can't close my mouth fully as my gum in upper jaw is high not the teeth.i went to AIIMS once but dentist suggested that there was no solution for this problem as operation would not be a good option.i m attaching a photo.can u suggest me seems very awkward always try to close my mouth forcefully and when i sleep it fell open automatically.
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hello, XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Forum,

Inablity to close the mouth is due to the overgrowth of either gum or protuded maxilla or upper anteriors.
Such type of defects are treated either by Orthodontic appliances, bone or gum surgeries, identification of the cause of the defect followed by appropraite treatment is required.
In your case i would suggest you to take a second opinion, by a Orthodontist as well as Periodontist, a thorough clinical examination followed by necessary x-rays like OPG is required, upper lower impressions can be taken for proper diagnosis.

If your gums are placed too high making you unhappy with your smile you can go for gum contouring surgeries, this is a minor surgery performed under local anesthesia by an Periodontist in which gum reshaping or tissue sculpting is done, dont worry after few days or weeks the gums heal completely.

Based upon the examinations if needed can be treated with orthodontic braces, which will encourage your tooth to move to new place which will provide a proper lip closure and for cosmetic reasons your surgeon will remove or reposition parts of bone if needed.

Hope you find this information as helpful,
If you have any further queries feel free to ask!
Dr Qazi
Follow-up: Unable to close mouth fully as gum in upper jaw is high not teeth. Suggest? 21 minutes later
can the minor surgery lead to some future problems,like cancerous growth or something?
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the prompt reply,

Gums surgeries will not lead to cancerous growth, no surgeries are without risk the risk included with gum contouring can be swelling, bleeding or allergic reactions, it can be avoided by following the post operative instructions given by your Dentist properly like at the day of surgery limit your activities, take complete rest,take complete course of antibiotics and analgesics prescribed to you, eat soft and cool foods , avoid spicy foods till your gums heal completely.

Hope you find this as helpful,

Take care!
Dr Qazi.
Follow-up: Unable to close mouth fully as gum in upper jaw is high not teeth. Suggest? 24 minutes later
as i said before i went to AIIMS.the dentisi who was a intern of aiims told me that at the age of 24 or beyond orthodontist braces XXXXXXX t work.what is ur view regarding this?
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the reply,

Dear XXXXXXX i would like to tell you that there is no specific age limit for orthodontic treatment, the fact is that it is more effective in young age, so i would encourage you to visit to an Orthodontist and take a second opinion, I am sure with proper diagnosis and treatment plan you can improve your smile.

Best of luck!
Good day!
Dr Qazi.