Unable to bend knee when walking but can bend it when sitting. Why?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am unable to bend my right knee when walking, (weight bearing) but yet I can bend it when sitting? Why?
Posted Sun, 30 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Inability to bend the knee while walking is suggestive of osteoarthritic changes in the knee. While weight bearing, the joint space decreases and it becomes painful for the knee to move due to reduced lubricating agents in the joint.
In the non weight bearing position, the joint space is slightly more thus making the movement easier.
You can take mild pain killers, calcium supplements and get some lubricating agents like glucosamine or chondroitin sulfate prescribed from your orthopedician after an examination.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.