Umbilical hernia. Pain in umbilicus. Use Slendertone Abs. Is Slendertone responsible for the pain?

Question
I am a female, 50 years of age, 64 Kg and I have umbilical hernia which is not noticable. I started using Slendetone Abs recently and had some pain at the umbilicus, is this related to the use of slendertone?
Can I safely use Slendertone when having umbilical hernia?
If I go thru surgery for the hernia, can I use slendertone afterwards?
Thank you very much
Posted Wed, 20 Jun 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 5 hours later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Slendertone as such can be used in your present condition.

Slendertone being responsible for umbilical hernia is not mentioned in the literature.

I advice you to keep a regular watch on the hernia and when ever you feel there is increase in the size stop using it and XXXXXXX the surgeon.

If you go through the surgery, you can never immediately use it. It can make you feeling achy and sore. At least for 4 to 5 weeks you have stop using it as it may disrupt the sutures.

I advised you to take it slow and steady and gradually build up the sessions. May on alternate days or doing exercise daily but for short periods of time.

It is better to inform this to your surgeon and take his opinion before starting it after surgery. He will do the examination of incision and then can decide. Also it depends on whether you are going for laparoscopic or open umbilical hernia repair.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Umbilical hernia. Pain in umbilicus. Use Slendertone Abs. Is Slendertone responsible for the pain? 3 hours later
Thank you for the reply, my worry is that I have umbilical hernia and I am using the slendertone nowadays. Yeterday, I felt some pain at the umbilicus when using the slendetone, could this type of exercise affect the hernia?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Hello AAAAA

Certain exercise may aggravate an umbilical hernia and you should take certain precautions to protect yourself.

Wear a hernia truss during each exercise session. A hernia truss supports your abdominal muscles to prevent the hernia from worsening during exercise.

Standing exercises force you to engage your abdominal muscles, which may increase the pressure in your torso and aggravate your hernia.

Avoid exercises that flex and extend your spine. Crunches, oblique exercises and back extensions can all aggravate an umbilical hernia.

I advice you to focus on aerobic exercises such as walking, running or an aerobics class. Cardiovascular exercise does not put as much strain on your abdomen as resistance.

So as stated above it depends on what exercise you do, if you have pain better stop for few days and XXXXXXX surgeon for examination, after that if you are fine you can start it again.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.