Umbilical cord stem cell banking. What are the benefits and is it still in research phase?

I need the benefits of "Umbilical cord stem cell banking" Actually is it still in research phase or else it will be useful in future to overcome lot of disease.

Please update.

Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Cord blood is not the only source of stem cells but they are easy to collect and store and if your child or any sibling needs them in the future then chances of graft versus host reaction after transplantation are very less as compared to bone marrow transplantation. They are crucial for patients with severe cases of leukemia, anemia or immune deficiency. These are being used even today for treatment of many diseases and active research is also in progress.
The issue of storing of cord cells is your own individual decision and you can decide after talking to your wife and her gynecologist.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Umbilical cord stem cell banking. What are the benefits and is it still in research phase? 2 hours later
Thanks for response Doctor.

I have lymph node enlargement, I consulted doctor they said it is due to some allergy which doesn't have medication to cure. Also they said Node enlargement will realpse if removal is done enlargement is also found corporated with nerves, so removal fully is difficult. so in this case a precaution i plan to save cord blood cell in case the same type of defect occurs to my kid. so cord blood cells can cure lymph node enlargement, is there any articles research done about this case.

To make it clear from your response. Cord blood cell usage to cure various ailment is less than the usage of bone marrow cells ?

Please clarify.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Lymph node enlargement can happen due to many causes. The cord blood cells can help in curing the malignancy while the benign causes like allergy or viral infection causing the lymph node enlargement are difficult to take care of.
Preserving the cord blood is a good idea to treat the immune related disorders including allergies which is still under research.
Using cord blood stem cells is same as bone marrow transplantation but the self cells are used and the cure rate is better.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.