Umbilical cord blood TSH test done for newborn baby. Is it normal?

hi i have newborn baby girl on 25 aug2012 umbilical cord blood TSH test done. result found 22.95microiu/dl .after 4 day my doctor say again for test result was t3-199ug/dl ,t4 19.3 ug/dl
and TSH 18.02micro uI/dl .is its normal ? plz sir say details and can we start thro tablet or not
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 4 hours later

Thank you for the question you have posed on this site.

My information about the levels of the thyroid hormones is as under:

At birth, babies have very high levels of TSH, which can go up to even 60-90 mIU/ml. The levels stay high, and the normal range on day 4 is between 0.4-16 (Hence, her level of 18 is borderline high).

The T3 and T4 levels on the 4th day in your baby seem to be within the normal range (T3 should be between 62–243 ng/dl and T4 between 8.0–20.0 mcg/dl on days 4-30 of life).

Looking at this, I would not recommend any treatment at present. You should repeat the tests after a month and see what the levels are.