Ultrasound transvaginal test shows follicular retension cyst in ovary and chronic cervicitis. Any advice?

Question
Ultrasound Transvaginal Test shows --1]Follicular retension cyst in left ovary 2] chronic cervicitis Age of patient 43 years Had regular periods irregular since 6 months married for 20 years 2 children Had 3 times post coital spotting
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
Follicular retention cysts are common in women (especially premenopausal) and the cyst usually takes care of itself by either absorbing back into the system or bursting.
Cervicitis is an inflammation of tissue in women's cervix due to recurrent infection. Post coital bleeding is also a matter of concern.
So consult your gynaecologist for local examination & treatment of cervicitis with antibiotics. We would also need a pap smear to be done to rule out major disease like cervical carcinoma.
Hope that helps. I will be available for your followup queries.

Dr.Monika

Follow-up: Ultrasound transvaginal test shows follicular retension cyst in ovary and chronic cervicitis. Any advice? 2 days later
What is the reason behind post coital bleeding
What other tests other than pap smear required

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back.
Cervicitis can be cause of post coital bleeding. But,the most serious cause of post coital bleeding is cervical cancer. About 11 percent of women with cervical cancer present with post coital bleeding.
First you get pap smear done to rule out cervical carcinoma & to detect cause of cervicitis, if there occurs any abnormality in test; you would have to undergo cervical biopsy.
I hope you will follow my advise.
Dr.Monika

I had gone for pap smear test but the test could not be done as stains of blood discharge came onthe swab. My last menstrual was on 14 August so she suggested that i visit after my periods are over. today is 19 september but my periodsi have not yet started. SO IS THERE anything wrong and within how many days after she could see the blood inside that the period should have started. How long should i wait or i visit the doctor again urgently. Iwent on 13 SEPTEMBER FOR PAP SMEAR

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 33 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
welcome back.
Actually you are having irregular periods, so it would be very difficult to tell that when you will get your periods.
Pap smear is a screening test & if it is showing some abnormality, you would have to go for cervical biopsy.
So you can do one thing-if you are unable to get pap smear you can go for cervical biopsy to rule out cervical carcinoma & endometrial biopsy to detect cause of irregular periods. Both procedures can be done simultaneously under sedation.
I think you should not delay in this matter.
I will be available for your further queries.

Follow-up: Ultrasound transvaginal test shows follicular retension cyst in ovary and chronic cervicitis. Any advice? 22 hours later
I would like to go for pap smear first I am afraid to go under sedation. How long can i wait Actually the test was not performed so that the results are not affected
if the pap smear test is not abnormal then also do i need to go for biopsy

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 13 minutes later
Welcome back.
If still your period is awaited, avoid intercourse for 2-3 days & then get you pap smear done.
In between if period starts, wait for 2-3 days after completion of menses & then you can go for procedure.
If pap smear is normal then there is no need to go for biopsy.