Ultrasound suggest tetheard cord. How serious is this?

Nov 2013

My doughter was born Aug. 21, 2013 with many problems. During a regular ultra sound the doctor said that image suggest tetheard cord. How serious is that.
Posted Tue, 12 Nov 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 25 minutes later
hello dear
thanks for your query at XXXXXXX
tethered cord syndrome can cause significant deformities like motor or muscle defect , orthopedic problem, bowel and bladder disturbances, sensory abnormalities, muscle weakness, and pain.
The outcome of releasing a thickened filum terminale or detethering of patients with diastematomyelia is routinely good, and the chance of recurrent symptoms is very low.
Follow-up: Ultrasound suggest tetheard cord. How serious is this? 11 minutes later
Is there a minimum age where a surgery for detethearing ateathered cord can be performd. Or it can be done to any age even for small infants
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

There are two issues here.

First is confirming the diagnosis. This can be done by doing an MRI of lumbar spine. MRI is the best scan to confirm the diagnosis, as ultrasound may not give all the details.

The second issue is regarding the surgery. Surgery (untethering of cord) is only required if the child has symptoms due to the tethered cord. The symptoms to watch for are- weakness in the legs, lack of sensations (numbness) in the legs, urinary and bowel incontinence, etc. If the symptoms develop, then, early surgery is recommended, as the surgery is reasonably safe.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: