Ultrasound shows suberosal fibroid, atrophic uterus. Had ovarian cancer. Undergoing IVF to get pregnant. Explain results

May 2013
I had ovarian cancer when i was 20 and I'm now 32. We have to use IVF with a donor to get prgnant and we're looking into that option right now. Can you explain this ultrsound and tell me if these results could hinder our chances. I had an ultrasound done of my uterus and the findings were: uterus measures 4.8 x 1.6 x 2.5 cm in CC, AP and lateral dimension. The endometrium is homogeneous and measures 2.5 mm in AP double layer thickness. There is a 14mm, slightly hypoechoic area at the superior aspect of the uterus that appears to represent a small, partially exophytic fibroid. There is no adnexal masses. There is no free fluid.
14mm, partially exophytic hypoechoic mass-like lesion on the left side of the uterus superiorly that likely represents a suberosal fibroid.
Uterus is atrophic.
email: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

according to your scan findings,
-the uterus is less than normal in size,
-endometrial thickness is 2.5mm, possibly in follicular phase(around 10 days from first day of periods),
-small subserosal fibroid.

because of atrophic uterus problems may occur in implantation and in growth of gestational sac, in case of fertilization possibility of miscarriage or early labor are there,
if menstrual periods are there and the endometrial thickness is corresponding to the date of cycle, it can be said that hormonal function is there.( I suppose only one ovary got removed), if not you have to go for hormonal supplementation,

usually small subserosal fibroid will not affect fertility.

so you better discuss these things with your doctor before going for IVF.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.