Ultrasound shows prominence of pelvicalyceal system. Donated one kidney. What does it mean?

I donated a kidney to my mum about a year ago. However, my last ultrasound scan of the whole abdomen found the following impression "Mild Prominence of Pelvicalyceal system"..... What exactly does that mean??? Am i in danger of losing my remaining kidney?

The report on my right kidney says "Right kidney is normally sited and are of normal size and shape. Cortico-medullary differentiation is maintained. No Focal lesion is seen. Mild Prominence of pelvicalyceal system is seen. Right kidney measures 11.4 x 6.3cm"

If there are any issues, what advise will you give me?
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 9 hours later

First I must congratulate you on your bold and noble step to donate your kidney. Kidney donation is a safe procedure. So do not worry. Your doctor must have done all your tests and taken one kidney only if the tests were normal. But kidney donation does not prevent you from other diseases or ailments which you may catch during your life time, so you have to be slightly careful.

Your ultrasound shows "Mild Prominence of Pelvicalyceal system"..... this can be a normal radiological finding in view of the fact that only one kidney has to do the work of two and therefore because of increase urine flow appear slightly dilated . I think this does not have any clinical significance in your case. To confirm you should do following tests. Serum Creatinine level in blood, urine routine test, Blood Pressure check. If these are normal you need not worry at all. As far as testing your blood sugar, please do it. Whatever be the results they can be easily handled.

Since you are a kidney donor you should be aware that:

Regular 6 monthly checks Serum Creatinine level in blood, urine routine test, Blood Pressure will help you. Avoid over the counter pain killers.

Hope this helps. Do write back for further follow up queries that you may have.