Ultrasound shows pregnancy. Bleeding brownish. Am I having an early miscarriage or chemical pregnancy?

May 2013
I'm 5 weeks pregnant according to my last ultrasound last Sunday, 24th July 2012 . Am I having an early miscarriage now or a chemical pregnancy because I'm bleeding. It was just brownish/pinkish on the 1st 2 days after my ultra sound, the bleeding became a bit heavy but not as normal as my period. I had an ultrasound and it shows I'm pregnant for 5 weeks. How shall I know now? I have another appointment with the doctor on 4th of July to check the development of the baby and to check if there will be a heartbeat and I cannot wait till that day. I'm being paranoid and really worried about my situation right now. Hoping to get an answer.
Posted Tue, 17 Jul 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later
thanks for the query,

according to your description the possible causes for your bleeding are,

-in early pregnancy some women may show spotting on their regular date of periods,

-as the gestational sac grows it will invade the decidua, that is endometrium of pregnancy, during that time it can invade blood vessels leading to little bleeding as uterine cavity will not be completely obliterated by that time, bleeding can come out.

-sometimes placental invasion can lead to presence of subchorionic hematoma which may lead to bleeding,

-as there will be increased blood supply to local genital organs during pregnancy little friction like due to journey or vaginal scan probe etc can lead to bleeding.

-chances of miscarriage, as you are having doctor already kept you on duphaston, which is a progesterone and dicynone which is hemostatic drug these two will help in preventing miscarriage to some extent usually, so normally your bleeding has to subside soon,

but as per your description it is becoming more, so you better consult gynecologist and get examined to find out the cause of bleeding and with her advice you can go for progesterone injections to prevent miscarriage if possible.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.