Ultrasound shows no IUD but X-rays showed it. Not found during laprascopy and hysteroscopy. Why?

why would an ultrasound show no iud then xray shows it but when i had laprascopy and hystersopy it was not found
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Sometimes IUD is not detected on ultrasound or hysteroscopy or laproscopy as it is like searching for a needle in a sack of hay.
X-rays expose the whole abdomen and detect any metallic substance present inside so it can detect such implants more easily but it is difficult to pin point the location inside the abdominal viscera.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Ultrasound shows no IUD but X-rays showed it. Not found during laprascopy and hysteroscopy. Why? 4 minutes later
i dont understand where it could be...where could it go?! at the end of the month i will be seeing an IVF specialist bc i was told this have more equipment in there office that the gynocolgist will be able to instead of a radiologist can read... im scared that it could be in an awful place... Still dont understand how it shows up in xray but not in surgery
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
X-ray is a more sensitive tool for detecting IUD than a direct visualisation during surgery. It could be inside any viscera like gut or uterine wall, etc. Consulting an infertility specialist will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.