Ultrasound shows baby with breech presentation. Did Flunar harm baby?

Hi, I am 38 years old. My MC was irregular , so took indocap tablet for 5days from18th May-2012 as per my doctor's prescription. On 10th of Sept-2012 pregnancy test indicated +ve. According to Ultra sound test age of baby is 18month and 2 days ,baby's bio physical profile is normal and no gross congenital anomaly seen. But the baby is seen with breech presentation at the time of scanning. Also I was taking Flunar 5mg for my migraine. Is there any risk for the baby?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later

Indocap is the trade name for a medication called indomethacin. It does not cross in the placenta during early pregnancy as easily as in later pregnancy.Data presently available on use in the first trimester have suggested that it is not associated with a high prevalence of defects. In a study looking at 50 women who took the drug, one had a baby with a defect- the study does not indicate the nature of the problem.
In a study with 114 babies who had been exposed in early pregnancy, 7 had defects.
So there is a risk but it is small and you've had an ultrasound which showed no obvious abnormality, which is good. Fetal anomalies scans are normally done about 20 weeks to detect abnormalities and yours was done at 18 weeks so if any problem was present, it is likely to have been detected at that point.By 18 weeks most of babies organs would have been developed.

Flunar- there is no data in humans but animal studies do not indicate any issues. It is thought to be better avoided if possible (because no human studies).
Again the initial ultrasound was normal so this is reassuring

I hope this information is helpful , feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Ultrasound shows baby with breech presentation. Did Flunar harm baby? 24 hours later
Thank a lot for your information.
Is there any physical exercise to turn the baby from breech presentation to normal within my womb?
I would like to share the next ultra sound result in future.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later

there are no known exercises at present that will help the baby to turn but 25% of breech babies will spontaneously turn by 35 weeks.
Some patients and doctors op for external cephalic version which is basically turning the baby near term , about 36 weeks.It is usually done in a hospital setting so that baby and mummy can be monitored.

If the baby remains breech most institutions prefer to deliver the baby by c section.

Hope this is helpful to you, feel free to ask anything else