Ultrasound shows anterior placenta, inferior limit extends down to and spans internal OS. What does it mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
13 weeks 2 days pregnant, Ultrasound report says, anterior placenta, inferior limit extends down to and spans across the XXXXXXX OS. What exactly does this imply? Can it get better?
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi AAAAA

sometimes in early pregnancy placenta can be low lying, and usually with progression of the gestational age the placenta will move upwards which is called migration of placenta,
but in your case as the placenta is completely covering the XXXXXXX os, the chance of complete migration is less, it may remain in the same position causing placenta previa or can move to some extent and remain as low lying placenta, very rarely it may migrate up,
so you have to be cautious as this can lead to bleeding per vaginum,
-limit the activity, take sufficient rest,
-avoid traveling, intercourse etc,
-you family members should be aware of the condition,
-follow with regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations to follow the placental growth and migration,
-if any bleeding per vaginum occurs contact your doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Ultrasound shows anterior placenta, inferior limit extends down to and spans internal OS. What does it mean? 4 hours later

Thanks for your reply.
The report does not say though that it is low lying placenta. Do the words: XXXXXXX anterior placenta, inferior limit extends down to and spans across the XXXXXXX OS" automatically imply it is low lying?

How many hours at a stretch should I sit and work at computer? How about driving within a kilometer distance?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 48 minutes later
Hi AAAA

Placenta previa means when the placenta implants on the lower portion of the uterus, but usually we have to consider this after 20 weeks of gestation only.
There are four types in it.
-When the lower margin of placenta lies within 5cms of XXXXXXX os it is called low lying placenta.
-When reaches the margin of os it is called marginal placenta previa.
-When partially covers the os, it is partial placenta previa.
-When completely covers the os, it is complete placenta previa.
So according to this your placenta should be complete placenta previa, but as you are still 13 weeks only we can just call it as low lying placenta.

Better to take around 10 to 15 minutes gap after 1 hour of work, take at least 2 hours of rest in the afternoon.
Drive slowly, avoid jerks. If any discomfort or spotting occurs consult your doctor.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.