Ultrasound showing thickened heterogeneous endometrium, possible hemorrhagic cyst. Do I have PCOS?

Hi on my ultrasound report , it says thickened heterogeneous endometrium. possible hemorrhagic cyst . endometrial stripe complex measures 22 mm and is heterogeneous. Cystic portions are seen. Left ovary measures 2.7x2.4x1.3 cm which might represent a hemorrhagic cyst. there is some associated free fluid seen. what does this mean? Is this because I am due for my period or Is this mean I have PCOS.Can I still try for conceiving or is it a big concern right now.
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later

The findings of your ultrasound report are suggestive of a hyperplastic endometrium. This can be related to your expected period. This lining is likely to shed off completely and a repeat ultrasound scan after the periods will help in confirming this.

This can also happen due to a hormonal imbalance and can be treated with medicines. You can conceive with the help of medicines.

The presence of hemorrhagic cyst in the ovary is not suggestive of polycystic ovaries.

You can conceive and bear children. Please do consult your infertility specialist for proper treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Ultrasound showing thickened heterogeneous endometrium, possible hemorrhagic cyst. Do I have PCOS? 34 minutes later
Thanks Doctor for your reply. I was wondering my Doctor prescribed me Metformin to help regulate my periods. Ever since started trying to conceive my periods keep shifting from 28- 35 -38 days now. Is this normal for period dates to shift this much? Now I have passed 35 days and hoping to get my periods soon in a day or 2. So should I start taking metformin after I am done with my periods for this month. Would it be safe to take metformin while trying to conceive?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

The irregular periods are not normal. Metformin helps in overcoming the insulin resistance and helps in maintaining the regular periods. You can restart taking metformin after consulting your gynecologist. It is safe to take it while trying for conception and during first trimester of pregnancy. Please do not worry.

The gradually increasing length of the periods is likely to be due to a hormonal imbalance which needs to be treated to have a proper ovulation.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.