Ultrasound showing nodules in thyroid gland. Cancer?

I had an ultrasound of thyroid the report states the following the right thyroid lobe measures 4.6x2.2x1.9 the left thyroid lobe measures 4.9x1.7x1.5 cm there are multiple intermediate to hypoechoic nodules on the right side the largest measure 1.7cm on the upper pole, What does that mean? Does it mean cancer? and what should be done
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 21 hours later

I have noted the details given by you on the query and I completely understand that you would have been very worried with the results of the scan. It would have been better though if you could have posted the final impression / results mentioned at the end of the scan report. That would have helped me in providing you with a better answer to your query - if the nodules are cancerous.

Multiple hyoechoic nodules in the thyroid gland can be due to cysts / benign lesions. Cancer is a possibility if these nodules are irregular, invading the fibrous tissue / capsule.

Your doctor may ask for few more tests including thyroid function tests, radioisotope thyroid scan and fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) of the nodule to confirm the diagnosis. Complete / partial surgical removal of your thyroid gland followed by thyroid hormone supplementation is on cards.

Hope my answer is helpful to you. Should you have any additional queries I will be available to address them.