Ultrasound showing inhomogeneous mass on abdominal wall. What are the findings from the report? Is it normal?

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
This is concerning my daughter XXXXXXX who is 48 years old, separated and has 2 sons 10 and 9. She had an ultrasound done regarding her fibroid half a year ago. The report said during the ultrasound, they also saw a hypoechoic inhomogeneous mass on her abdominal wall just to the left of the midline. Since there was no indication of any color flow in this mass, the report said it was in all likelihood benign. However they suggested a follow-up utrasound. My daughter went for the follow-up ultrasound two weeks ago. Now the reports says ( I am quoting the report verbatim) as follows:
"The patient has a known mass in the abdominal wall just to the left of the midline. The hypoechoic inhomogeneous mass is again seen measuring 4.3X3.1. 1x1.7 cm very slightly larger than on previous examination. It now is noted to contain XXXXXXX color flow. The aetology of the mass is not clear but it could represent one of the mesenchymal mass lesions as previously discussed. In view of these findings, I would advise a biopsy to determine the aetiology."
My questions are : Could this be cancerous if color flow in the mass is observed?
My daughter is not overweight and in pretty good health. She had no symptoms of other ailments except diagnosed with an enlarged fibroid.
If this is discovered to be cancerous, should she be operated on ASAP and what is the prognosis?
What is her chance of a complete recovery if cancer is discovered?
Thank you for your answer.

Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be cancer but needs to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi
I have gone through your daughter's history. My answers as follows-

1. Could this be cancerous if color flow in the mass is observed?

A. As it has not increased over 1 year, chance of being cancer is low but cannot be ruled out based upon USG report. Color flow is not diagnostic of cancer. We should get a biopsy to confirm.

2. If this is discovered to be cancerous, should she be operated on ASAP and what is the prognosis?

A. If it is cancerous, then treatment would be surgery

3. What is her chance of a complete recovery if cancer is discovered?

A. Prognosis depends upon type of cancer, grade, stage, and many other factors. If it is localised to that site and low grade then result is very good.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.

Follow-up: Ultrasound showing inhomogeneous mass on abdominal wall. What are the findings from the report? Is it normal? 28 minutes later
Hi Doctor: Thank you for your prompt and precise reply re my daughter's condition. As her report indicated "The patient has a known mass in the abdominal wall just to the left of the midline. The hypoechoic inhomogeneous mass is again seen measuring 4.3X3.1. 1x1.7 cm very slightly larger than on previous examination. It now is noted to contain XXXXXXX color flow. The aetology of the mass is not clear but it could represent one of the mesenchymal mass lesions as previously discussed. In view of these findings, I would advise a biopsy to determine the aetiology."
My daughter's previous ultrasound was done in March of this year, 7 months ago and not a year ago. The report indicates the mass in her body is now slightly larger than the previous examination, does this have a bearing on your opinion? Could the mass which is now observed with color flow mean that the benign mass with no color flow in her previous exam 7 months ago, may be turning malignant?
She is scheduling a biopsy as you suggested. But as a father, I am kind of very concerned. Please excuse my further taking of your time with this follow-up inquiry. Thank you again.

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Refer below

Detailed Answer:
I fully understand your concern.

However, even if it has not significantly increased (slight increase may be there in benign lesion also) over 7 months, it is reassuring. Benign things changing to malignant is possible but making that conclusion from doppler report will be a bit far-fetched.

hence I would say that don't worry too much till the biopsy. She will be okay!

Follow-up: Ultrasound showing inhomogeneous mass on abdominal wall. What are the findings from the report? Is it normal? 30 minutes later
No further follow-up question. Just wish to express my sincere thanks to Dr. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
Thank you. If you do not have further queries, then please close the query and give feedback.