Ultrasound showing cystic SOL in right adnexal region. Is laparoscopy a good option? Suggest cure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2014
May 2014
Excellent

Radiologist
Question
My wife recently had USG and found with a Cystic SOL measuring 8.0*7.7*5.3 cm in right adnexal region. The SOL is full of low level XXXXXXX echoes & multiple septation. What are the effects of this and how can it be cured ? Is Laproxopy a good option ?
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do CA-125 level test before surgery.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

As there is a complex cystic space occupying lesion (SOL) in the region of right adnexa measuring around 8.0 x 7.7 x 5.3 cms with low level XXXXXXX echoes and multiple septations, it is fairly large enough to cause discomfort to patient.

Surgery (laproscopy or laprotomy) is the treatment of choice with lesion of size mentioned by you. The nature of the lesion is not clear if it is benign or malignant. Laproscopy/ laprotomy surgery is recommended with pathological analysis of the lesion. Because pathologic diagnosis of ovarian cancer is difficult without laparotomy, tumor markers such as CA-125, in addition to diagnostic imaging, are useful in preoperative evaluation for suspected ovarian tumors.

I suggest you talk to your doctor and get CA-125 level test done and then go for laproscopy/ laprotomy as advised by surgeon.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.Vivek

Follow-up: Ultrasound showing cystic SOL in right adnexal region. Is laparoscopy a good option? Suggest cure? 8 minutes later
Thanks for the answer. Can this cause cancer anyway ? Will there be problem in pregnancy after the operation is done ? Please help to understand.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CA-125 level test is for cancer probability.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in with an update.

Tumor markers are soluble glycoproteins that are found in the blood, urine, or tissues of patients with certain types of cancer. They are typically produced by tumor cells, but in some cases they may be produced by the body in response to malignancy or to certain benign conditions. Tumor markers are not elevated in all cancer patients, particularly patients with early-stage cancer. The various tumor markers differ in their usefulness for screening, diagnosis, prognosis, assessing therapeutic response, and detecting recurrence.

You might have read that I insisted you get CA-125 level test done for your wife. This is an important and reliable tumor marker for cancer in ovary. Though final diagnosis of cancer or not is after surgery and by pathology report, CA-125 level test will help in giving a clue towards cancer and if the levels are high, I would suggest you to consult a surgeon who is specialist in gynecology cancer treatment.

If the tumor is not a cancer, I do not see any problem in pregnancy. It is not possible to give any opinion on pregnancy if tumor is a cancer, then saving the patient is most important.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.Vivek.

Follow-up: Ultrasound showing cystic SOL in right adnexal region. Is laparoscopy a good option? Suggest cure? 21 minutes later
Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CT scan abdomen and pelvis and chest Xray

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your feedback
You are welcome.

I want to suggest you to get a contrast CT scan of abdomen and pelvis done for your wife to know exact location and size of the tumor. This will help in planning surgery.

A chest X XXXXXXX will also help as routine investigation.

Dr.Vivek.