Ultrasound showed shadow in kidney in lower pole, renal pelvis area. Recommended CT Scan. Cause?

I recently had an ultrasound and there was a shadow of "prominence" showing up in my right kidney in the lower pole, renal pelvis area. The radiologist recommended a CT scan to evaluate further. What are the possible reasons for the shadow showing up on the right kidney? Thank you for your time.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Primary consideration for shadowing is stones.

Detailed Answer:
Good Day!

Primary consideration for shadowing in a kidney ultrasound are kidney stones. Kidney stones is the most common cause of shadowing when the ultrasound transducer hits the stone, it will cause shadowing.

Another diagnosis that could produce a shadowing would be a prominent column of bertin. This is a normal condition where in the structures inside the kidney are more prominent than usual. This prominence would reflect on the ultrasound as shadowing also.

I would also suggest getting a CT scan since it has 95% chance of detecting even the smallest kidney stones or lesions. It would give us a right diagnosis and a peace of mind. I Hope I have answered your question and thank you very much.