Ultrasound showed one ovary is 1.5 cc and the other is 44.2 cc. Is this normal?

Question
Hi, I recently got some ultrasound results back, one ovary is 1.5 cc and the other is 44.2 cc. What is considered normal for a woman of 21 with an implanon?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Normal ovarian volume for a woman of reproductive age group is of 9.8+_5.8cc.
Implanon can decrease ovarian volume by creating anovulatory phase but can not increase the volume so much up to 44.2cc.
So continue your medications & avoid fast food & excessive weight gain.
Repeat your ultrasound scan after six months to detect ovarian volume.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your follow up queries.

Dr.Monika

Follow-up: Ultrasound showed one ovary is 1.5 cc and the other is 44.2 cc. Is this normal? 34 hours later
Should this be of concern considering I have pcos? They found a 5cm cyst on the ovary as well.
How is it possible a cyst is growing when I have implanon and am meant to not be ovulating?

My gp decided follow up in 6 months, do you believe that is a bit long considering I have a history of ruptured cysts and internal bleeding from them? Would it be worth getting a second opinion on the treatment?

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 9 hours later
Welcome Back.
There are some intrinsic factors also that are responsible for cystic growth in spite of having implanon.
Now main concern is whether cyst is growing or reducing in size.
If you are asymptomatic means having no pain abdomen & stable pulse rate & blood pressure, you can get your ultrasound scan after six months.
However even after six months cyst is growing, you would have to go for surgical removal of cyst.
Regarding PCOS you are already taking medications like Diabex. So avoid excessive weight gain & have a regular exercise.
I hope your query has been answered.