Ultrasound showed multicystic endometrial hyperplasisa, no free fluid in posterior cul-de-sac. Possibility of cancer?

I did an ultra sound and the comments were "Multicystic endometrial hyperplasisa is noted, with 13.3 mm endometriL COMPLEX also shows heterogeneity. No adnexal masses are seen. There is no free fluid in the posterior cul-de-sac XXXXXXX Also seemingly, fibroid uterus the fybroid measures 1.0cm . I am postmonoposal. Please let me know the posibility of cancer in this diagnosis. Also the PAP test shows Mucinous material, with rare epithelial cells , no endometrial tissue is seen, insufficient material for diagnosis. thank you.
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The first thing which I would recommend Would be a repeat PAP test. The report indicates that the sample was not adequate. This test is used to rule out cervical cancer. You should discuss this with your doctor to see if you think they should be repeated soon or if he can wait six months to one year to repeat that.

The thickening of the endometrium is something that I think you should discuss also with the gynecologist. Sometimes we perform biopsies of the endometrium to make sure there is no changes that could indicate any type of cancer.

The likelihood that you have some type of endometrial cancer is still very low but I think the findings on the ultrasound should not be ignored. I would recommend consideration for a possible endometrial biopsy.

Thank you again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert
Follow-up: Ultrasound showed multicystic endometrial hyperplasisa, no free fluid in posterior cul-de-sac. Possibility of cancer? 10 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX My doctor recommended a D&C and biopsy, I just wanted to know what is the possibility of cancer, I gues I have to wait and see. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 16 hours later
Hello again.

Yes there is a period of waiting here. The odds are that there is no cancer but being thorough is the best way to go - and you are doing that.

Thanks again for sharing your health concerns with me.

Dr Robert