Ultrasound showed minor cyst and having lower abdomen pain. Found high ca 125 test. Worrisome

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
I had a CA 125 test done in October that came back at 62.1 (no history of cancer). Dr. did an ultrasound and found a minor cyst and said that no further follow up was necessary. I began having cramps in the lower left abdominal area (feels like ovulation except it has gone on for weeks). I decided to go back and obtain another CA 125 test (against dr.l advice and now I see why ) which came back at 67.2. Do I need to go back to dr or is this something I don't need to be worried about? I am 45 years old.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 2 hours later

You don't need to be worried. This is because CA 125 is a non specific test for ovarian cancer. It may be raised in many other conditions like peritonitis, abdominal tuberculosis, fibroid uterus, endometriosis etc. In fact it may be raised in some women, during menstruation because of retrograde spillage of blood from uterus to peritoneal cavity.

So no need to get worried. Minor fluctuations of CA 125 in the absence of other symptoms &/or signs may be disregarded.

If you any symptoms like abdominal pain appear, please consult your doctor.

Hope this is assuring. Let me know if you need further clarifications.

With warm regards
Follow-up: Ultrasound showed minor cyst and having lower abdomen pain. Found high ca 125 test. Worrisome 18 hours later
Thank you so much for your response. I was worried because it was twice what they say the average should be (<35). I take a lot of aspirin and had a colonoscopy that showed an abrasion on my colon (due to aspirin). Could that cause it to be elevated?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 5 hours later

The CA 125 guideline used to be <35 in the post menopausal women and <65 in the women of reproductive age (pre-menopausal).

Aspirin is not the cause of elevated CA125. However I suggest repeat of CA125 and /or USG after 3 months.

With regards