Ultrasound showed gestational sac but no yolk sac. HCG level is also low. Is it viable pregnancy?

I'd like my ob to be honest with me. I feel like we're holding out hope for nothing :( 6 wk 1 day ultrasound showed gestational sac, no yolk sac. 7 wk 1 day ultrasound showed 1.2 cm gestational sac, still no yolk sac. HCG level at 7 wk 2 day showed 15000. My prior pregnancy I was 26000+ at 5w 2 day and 40000 2 days later. I feel like the HCG level this time is very low and lack of yolk sac concerns me. She is waiting one more week to see. I want a "realistic" viable is this pregnancy, what are the odds. Thank you.
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: This is a viable pregnancy but we have to wait! Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting us. I would like to share some facts with you: 1. An hCG level of less than 5mIU/ml is considered negative for pregnancy, and anything above 25mIU/ml is considered positive for pregnancy. So, you are still pregnant. 2. Normal levels of hCG at 7 – 8 weeks LMP is 7, 650 – 229,000 mIU/ml. So, your levels are well within normal range. 3. The yolk sac should be seen by transvaginal ultrasound when the mean sac diameter is 5-6mm. This is a point of concern as in your case it is not visible even at 1.2cm size. There could be 2 possibilities: 1. Either you are carrying a Blighted ovum ( that is an empty sac or a missed miscarriage). 2. Or, it is an early pregnancy grey area, or limitations of ultrasound machine or sonographer. No Gynecologist would make a quick decision at this stage. Your doctor has made a good decision to wait for 7-10 days & repeat a trans-vaginal ultrasound to see if a fetal pole has appeared or not. If yes, it is a good news for you, if no ( God forbid), we will not give you false hope!. Odds depend upon the reliability of your sonographer & the type of ultrasound you had. No one can give exact figures. I think, I have given you the clearest possible picture at this stage. Rest will appear with time. Wish you best of luck.
Follow-up: Ultrasound showed gestational sac but no yolk sac. HCG level is also low. Is it viable pregnancy? 23 minutes later
Thank you so much :)
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Wish you all the best Detailed Answer: You are always welcome here with all your health related concerns. Best regards.