Ultrasound showed follicular cyst. What is the problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
my TVS ultrasound shows result as right ovary hasa volume of app. 9.2 ml and shows a follicular cyst app.19mm in size. LEFT OVARY volume is 6.4ml. No turbo ovarian mass seen.
please let me know the problem as a layman and is it dangeous and cured by medicine asmy last periods came on 23 XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi,

according to your ultrasound findings,
-the size of your ovaries is almost in normal range,
the normal volume of the ovary is considered as 9.8+/-5.5ml,
-the volume of the right ovary is more than left ovary may be because of the cyst,
-follicular cysts are most common functional ovarian cysts,
usually during every menstrual cycle one ovum releases from the matured ovarian follicle, sometimes the ovum fails to release forming follicular cyst,
these usually seen in case of hyperestrogenism,
that hormonal imbalance may be the reason for your delayed periods,
-functional follicular cysts usually regress, followup for 3 to 6 months is enough in most of the cases,
so with your gynecologist advice you can take tablets for withdrawal bleeding and follow the cyst with regular ultrasound examinations,
rarely in case of persistence of cyst with increasing in size, associated with complications etc intervention is needed.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Ultrasound showed follicular cyst. What is the problem? 11 hours later
hi
As i told my last period date was 23 june-2012 and tilhe l date there is no period and there is white watery d ischarge. Further the size of cyst is 19mm.

do all this be cured with medicine ; i am worried as my doctor is not avaiable today

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later
hi XXXXXX,

-as your features are suggesting hormonal imbalance,
-as the cyst is only 1.9cm size,
-and as white discharge without smell and not associated with features like itching etc is common feature in during different stages of menstruation,

your problem most possibly can be cured with medical treatment.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Ultrasound showed follicular cyst. What is the problem? 48 minutes later
Hi Thanks for the answer... one more thing... i feel pain on right side (right ovary) and place between two ovaryies and earlier the white discharge was sticky and with smell but now its watery .... and still i have no periods

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
hi,

usually small follicular cysts will not cause symptoms, when they get complicated like hemorrhage into the cyst etc pain may occur, that will usually subside, if pain becomes severe better to consult doctor once.
the white discharge form vagina usually changes during menstrual cycle depending on the predominant hormone of that part of cycle, so you need not worry about it,
your delayed periods along with presence of follicular cyst indicating estrogen effect on endometrium with defective progesterone influence,
with progesterone supplementation you can get withdrawal bleeding, so consult your doctor to take treatment.