Ultrasound showed fetal hydronephrosis. Is it harmful for the unborn baby?

What is Fetal Hydroneuphrosis? Iam 27years old and i had my Ultrasound test in 17weeks 3days and found mild prominent Hydroneuphrosis... Wha is it exactly.. Is it harmful for my baby?? Doctor suggested me to take Tiffa Scan in 20weeks
Posted Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 50 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
The fetal kidneys develop in the abdomen of the child in two parts.
The kidneys develop separately and the kidney pipe (ureter) separately. They join together during the growth of the child within mother's tummy.
The joint is the place where narrowing is possible called PUJ (pelvi-ureteric junction) obstruction. This is reflected in the scan as hydronephrosis, meaning water (urine) collection in the kidney due to poor drainage (due to the narrow joint)
Usually, no intervention is needed till the child is born, except the scan for monitoring.
Even after birth, the scan needs to be repeated and other tests like IVP/ RENOGRAM need to be performed to decide on whether any surgical procedure is needed on the kidneys to remove the block.
You may relax for the time being. TIFFA scan is done to look for anomalies in the child.
Hope this helps Kindly write back for doubts if any.
best regards