Ultrasound showed fatty liver with SOL right lobe. What does this mean?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Dear Doctor

My Wife went for a regular check up., the ultrasound report came as a Fatty liver with SOL right lobe? what does it mean? do we need to worry about this? I am deeply concerned. Also it says that Hemangioma. What do we need to do? She doesnot have any symptoms whatsoever.. Seek your advise.
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 23 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

SOL is a space occupying lesion, what is the size of that lesion ?

If there are no symptoms, yet I would prefer going for a Liver Function Panel

If need be a followup CT or ultrasound after two weeks

If the size is increasing or there are altered echos get her examined by a gastroentrologist

You may get back to me with the reports
Wishing your wife a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Ultrasound showed fatty liver with SOL right lobe. What does this mean? 5 minutes later
Dear Doctor

Thank you very much for your reply. I will send u the reports. As I mentioned, I am deeply worried about this.. You mentioned Liver Function Panel. What exactly is this?

Is it a medical emergency?

Thank you

Kind Regards

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back

No it is not an emergency

It is simply a liver function test , a blood test

Need not worry and get back anytime

Wishing your wife a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Ultrasound showed fatty liver with SOL right lobe. What does this mean? 14 hours later
Dear Dr.

I appreciate your immediate response. As suggested, we will get the blood test done. But we did the comprehensive blood test was done in Sep only and everything came out alright including bilirubin and liver test.

The ultrasound report says XXXXXXX echogenic hyperechoic lesion in right lobe with 3cm and the final impression in the report says XXXXXXX Fatty Liver with SOL right lobe? Hemangioma".

How serious is this?

Thank you

Kind Regards

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 42 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

If the reports are normal do not get them repeated

Hemangioma is a benign SOL so not an emergency

As a treating doctor I would observe the course of the disease and then decide the fate of management

If there are no symptoms and it is only an accidental finding on a routine examination, I would prefer waiting for six more weeks and go for a followup ultrasound and then decide the management

Hope this helps
Do get back in case of doubts

Follow-up: Ultrasound showed fatty liver with SOL right lobe. What does this mean? 39 minutes later
Dear Doctor

Thank you very much once again for your help. As I mentioned before, it was an accidental finding during a routine examination. She doesn't complain any symptoms so far. Moreover, her blood test results were normal in all the parameters when it was done in September.

As advised, we will wait for 6 more weeks for a follow up and then decide the next steps.

Just a clarification - the size of the lesion is 3cm is it big or small?

Thank you once again

Kind Regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Three Cms is not very big average size is usually quarter of an inch

Literature says it is resent in around 7% of healthy individuals and is more common in females

Basically if it is not causing any problem and not increasing in size dramatically it can be left as it is

Hope all clear

DO write back in case of doubts