Ultrasound showed enlarged uterus, no fetal pole and gestational sac in uterine cavity. Normal?

Mar 2016

My wife's Ultrasound shows:

Uterus is enlarged in size, anteverted in position.
Note is made of a regular well defined gestational sac in the uterine cavity. Gestational sac measures 17mm (6 weeks 1 day)

However no fetal pole, cardiac activity or yolk sac could be seen in it.

Is this report normal or something to worry about. LMP was 11-Dec-2012
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. S Patra 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I have gone through your wife's ultrasound report in detail.

According to ultrasound report, her gestational age corresponds with LMP as on 11 December and there is no lagging or advanced growth of embryo. Therefore, it is normal ultrasound report & nothing to worry at present.

Early ultrasound scan (USG) may not give detailed view on fetal pole or cardiac activity. To get detailed feto placental profile including above findings, you need to repeat the USG scan after 2 weeks.

Another option, you can undergo Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS) to get early details on fetal pole, yolk sac and cardiac activity. These can be observed on 6 weeks of gestational age and approx 2 weeks earlier than plain USG scan.

Do some basic things for healthy pregnancy:

1) Take Healthy protein XXXXXXX diet with extra 350 Kcal/day than usual and eat leafy vegetables & fresh fruits. Folic acid supplements are to be continued.
2) Drink lots of fluid/water to stay hydrated & for better feto-placental circulation.
3) Take an adequate bed rest and preferably 8-10 hrs daily in divided schedule.
4) Maintain personal hygiene including breast & genital care with proper washing.
5) Try to avoid stress/tension/emotional upset by regular XXXXXXX breathing.
6) Certain things should be avoided like any type of sexual activity/ intercourse, long journey/stepping uneven surface and high heel shoe (risk of fall on ground with miscarriage) etc.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen.