Ultrasound showed enlarged spleen and grade 1 fatty liver. Is this serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
my wife usg shows enlarged spleen of 14.55 size and grade i fatty lever. her lft is normal except alkalyne phosphate slighty higher. is it something serious?
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your wife's ultrasound findings do not represent any serious disease and there is no need to worry.

Regarding spleen, the normal size is upto 12 cm, so, her spleen is mildly enlarged. The common causes are infections such as typhoid and malaria. So, you can get the blood tests done for them. If they are normal, then, the ultrasound test can be repeated after 8-12 weeks.

Regarding fatty liver, it could be genetic or related to obesity. Other causes could be diabetes or alcohol, but I think these are not relevant in her case. She needs to do regular exercises and no medications are required for the same.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Ultrasound showed enlarged spleen and grade 1 fatty liver. Is this serious? 22 minutes later
Her cbc was also done with lft and it is normal.
She does not have diabetese as it is tested
Her abdomen remains bloated and her wt. If 74 kgs with height of 5ft2inches
Sir, with this additional information would you like to add something to your opinion?
Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 52 minutes later
Thank you for getting back and providing more information.

Normal CBC and LFT are good news.

I think she is overweight and has to reduce some weight. For this, you can consult a dietician to advise her a weight lowering diet.

She can start a good exercise regimen such as brisk walking for 30 minutes per day.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Ultrasound showed enlarged spleen and grade 1 fatty liver. Is this serious? 47 hours later
Sir, sorry to bother you again
I just saw her CBC report again and like to mention following
Hb 12.8
MCV 74.5 fL(normal range 76-96)
MCH 24.2 pg (normal range 27-32)
MCHC 32.4 gm/dl (normal range 30-35)
all other parameters including PS/PBS/GBP are normal

low MCV and MCH are worrying me.

Kindly advice

Thanks & Regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Low MCV and MCH are usually a sign of iron deficiency.

So, she can take a course of iron supplements to correct it- Cap. FEFOL one daily in morning after breakfast for six weeks.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM