Ultrasound showed enlarged ovary. CT scan showed fibroid with stalk. Concerned

Sep 2012

Hi, I have had a transvaginal ultrasound and a CT scan. Ultrasound showed enlarged L L ovary, CT scan showed a fibroid with stalk. My gyn wants to check a CA125 with my next menses, which I have not had in 3 months. She will induce menses if it does not occur on it's own. Also, two years ago I had an ultrasound with breast lumps found, but I didn't follow up in 6 months because I was nervous, stupid, I know, the lumps are still palpable though. I have been having pelvic pain that causes me to miss work and unable to perform normal activities. I am 35 with 3 children, how concerned should I be about the CA125 and the possibility of cancer? I just want an idea of the possible outcomes
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your ultrasound scan has showed enlarged left ovary. But CT scan has showed fibroid with stalk. Sometimes a fibroid originating from outside of uterus, may be misinterpreted in ultrasound scan. So, be specific. Let me know about the CT scan report. You can write it down as a follow up question. Just write about the ‘Impression’ part.

If it is a fibroid and your ovaries were found in normal condition then you need not to worry. It is a benign condition. But you need surgical removal. Otherwise, it would increase the pelvic pain.

If the ovaries were found to be enlarged in CT scan, then you should take it seriously. Do not neglect it. Just do what your treating doctor will say to do.

You have done a terrible mistake. You should now be serious about your breast lump also. Do a mammogram followed by fine needle aspiration cytology and then consult with a general surgeon for further management according to the reports.

Lastly, write the report in a follow up.