Ultrasound showed enlarged liver. What can cause this?

My ultrasound tech today said my liver was slightly enlarged. What can cause this? I had mono last April. I also ate a fatty meal the night before. Can that effect results? I am not overweight. I am recovering from a cold and have been taking cold medication
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 43 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Before answering your question,I need certain information from you so that I am in a better position to answer.
Why was your ultrasound abdomen done?
What does the report say exactly?
Are you alcoholic or diabetic?
Have you ever got your liver function tests and Lipid profile done?
Any regular medication you are taking?
Did you ever suffer from hepatitis?

A single fatty meal doesn't result in liver enlargement.
Waiting for your reply
Follow-up: Ultrasound showed enlarged liver. What can cause this? 21 minutes later
I have had pain on my left side. Dr thinks it is muscular (in my lower rib). Abdominal scan was ordered to rule out kidneys and spleen (which were normal)

I have not seen the report. The technician just told me she thought the liver looked a little inflamed.

I am not alcoholic. I am not diabetic. I had my liver function and lipid profile a year ago. Everything was normal

I take melatonin, multi vitamins and recently finished antibiotics for a sinus infection.

Never suffered from hepatitis. I have received the twinrex vaccine.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
A person with hepatomegaly has enlargement of the liver. The liver plays a key role in metabolism. It helps food to be absorbed by the intestines as well as removing toxic substances from the bloodstream. Sometimes the liver will enlarge when it becomes inflamed. Liver enlargement, by itself, is not a disease, but may a sign of an underlying disease. Causes of hepatomegaly include hepatitis, mononucleosis, and congestive heart failure

Usually, mild hepatomegaly does not cause symptoms. Symptoms of moderate to severe hepatomegaly may include nausea, vomiting, right upper abdominal pain, fatigue, fever, itching, jaundice, and brown urine. 

The treatment of hepatomegaly depends on the underlying cause. Treatment for hepatomegaly may include a liver disease diet, and avoidance of alcohol and medications that irritate the liver.

Since the liver enlargement is mild in your case and not associated with Any liver symptoms,no significance should be attached to it.
Relax and forget it.