Ultrasound showed double layer endometrial thickness 2 cm, hypoechoic content, endometrial fluid. Meaning?

May 2013
Hello my ultrasound showed the double layer endometrial thickness to be 2.0cm and there is a hypoechoic content within the endometrial cavity. Could you explain what this could mean. it also says it could represent endometrial fluid.
Thank you
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Usually the upper limit of endometrial thickness depends on factors like phase of the cycle, levels of hormones, ovulatory or anovulatory cycles etc.
But in general if the double layer endometrial thickness is around 2cm associated with symptoms like excessive bleeding during periods or inter menstrual bleeding etc, better to undergo endometrial sampling once to rule out the pathology.
The hypoechoic content could be the fluid secreted from the glands of the secretory endometrium or tissue of endometrium with blood etc.

So the interpretation of the findings mostly depends on associated clinical features, if you have any irregularity in menstrual cycle as I told before better to get investigated further.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.