Ultrasound showed dilated pc system. What does this mean?

please can you guide me and tell me what is a dilated pc system. i am 33 yr old female and i have made an us and been diagnosed with a minimally dilated left pc system. what can be done and is it something serious can it lead to urine retention.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 17 minutes later
Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that your Ultrasound scanning revealed dilatation of Pelvi calyceal system (Pc System.)
It indicates that the pelvis of the ureter which is uppermost part of the system that drains urine in to bladder is dilated

This is suggestive of some obstruction in ureter to the flow of urine. In majority of the cases this is be due to a stone in the ureter or due to some lesion obstructing the lumen of the ureter.
The exact nature and degree of obstruction can be ascertained by doing a radiological test called a Intravenous Pyelography or C.T Scan with contrast study of Kidney Ureter and Bladder.

There is nothing serious about it. It is unlikely that it will lead to urine retention.

Hope I have answered your query.Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.
With Regards.

Follow-up: Ultrasound showed dilated pc system. What does this mean? 2 hours later
what is the treatment for it?
What cAn be the treatment for dilated pc system
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
I am unable to make any comment regarding the treatment as the nature of the treatment will depend entirely on findings of the either I.V.P or C.T Scan. Once we identify the cause, we can plan the treatment more effectively.